Nowadays, people tend to adapt to the changes our environment gave. They are more aware of each possibility that might happen with their actions. Even when it comes to taking care of their dogs, they always find a way to make it harmless and convenient.
Retractable Dog Leash is on-trend, it allows the dog owners to control their pets and have a stable stride while they can freely walk their dog and make it freely do what it wants outdoors.
In this article, you’ll find the reason why every dog owner needs a retractable dog leash and which of them is the most suitable for their pets. If you are interested to find, just keep on reading and it might benefit you as well.
Why do you need a Retractable Dog Leash?
There are various subjective opinions about using retractable dog leashes and some of them seem to be discouraging thought. But above all, the proper use of this product is the best solution.
Some people believed that the retractable dog leash is one of the dogs ‘ most dangerous leashes because it allows them to go and wander as far as they like.
Typically, retractable leashes are constructed from nylon, and the retractable chain is made from PVC (polymerizing vinyl chloride) or stronger material. So, you can minimize the sense of danger because of these robust materials. Rest assured that you can walk or accompany your dog freely without worrying too much.
Although these leashes can be helpful for both the dog and the person as it allows for some stability, they make it difficult to keep a dog in control which can lead to assaults on humans or other pets. These assaults happen only if the dogs are not comfortable with the leash or if they were abused first by some strangers or passer-by. Dogs will not bite you up if you didn’t anger them in the first place.
In order to ensure the safety of other people around you, you need to bear in mind that retractable dog leash should not be used to walk aggressive dogs, and puppies should be held at close quarters to guarantee their safety from different hazards that might be encountered including vehicles.
Despite all these possible problems, using retractable dog leashes can also give lots of advantages not just for the dog but also for the owner as well. The retractable leash has its handle and what we called leash that can be lengthened for you to control and hold back, which depends on the position and motion of the dog.
Here are the lists of benefits a retractable dog leash can give:
- The dog can move freely either farther or closer from you, and it can do what he wants just around a specific zone within your reach. It can sniff, wander and walk wherever and whatever he wants, but still you have full control over it using a retractable dog leash.
- The retractable dog leash can help your dog to stay away from possible danger and hazardous places it might encounter. With your full control, you can easily pull back the leash if you see possible dangers ahead of time or whenever he would eat a potentially dangerous material. Using this leash, the safety of your dog will greatly depend on your hands.
- You don’t need to be an overbearing master or even a scary owner for your dog. You can have full control without being rude to your pet and you can also be gentle with the help of the leash. There are various leashes that are available in various stores. It’s your choice to have what you think is most suitable for you and your dog’s personality.
- You don’t need to settle for what you don’t deserve. There are various lengths available in the market, so you can choose from wide range of varieties that you find most suitable and convenient for you and your dog.
- Using a dog leash with the right size, you don’t need to change your position or bend your body too much, since the length of the leash will make the dog do its things and wander around like he’s actually not wearing a leash. The dog will feel the freedom that it wants even if it’s under your control.
- Due to the advance process that some factories made, you don’t need to feel hesitant that leashes are difficult to use, because you can now adjust the leash of your dog automatically.
- If you are using a retractable dog leash, you might not worry about unleashing and chasing him to get inside your home. The product itself does its duty.
- You can also let the dog be outside to poop or urinate and you’ll just wait inside your house comfortably. Isn’t it convenient?
- Most of all, the handle of the leash is really comfortable that you’ll never get tired holding it even for a long time.
- The bonus part is that the leash can make everything enjoyable for you and your dog.
Knowing these benefits, you might be willing to purchase a retractable dog leash for your dog as soon as possible. But, bear in mind that the proper way of handling your dog using a retractable dog leash doesn’t come naturally. You must do some research or even training in order to get the full advantage of using a dog leash.
One mistake can lead to several damages. In order to prevent harmful things to happen, you need to remember some of these reminders:
- You need to reinforce leash training. It is an important part of training your dog. You can use the leash to make specific dog commands that they will eventually obey from time to time or you can even use it for executing punishments when they did something wrong. Using the leash, you can create a common gesture and body language that your dog can comprehend from the beginning and will be reflected from its actions.
- In order to train your dog with a leash, you need first to identify the perfect length that is suitable to your dog’s size and shape. You have to gain full control of its behavior and let it know the things it should do and shouldn’t do.
- When it comes the moment that your dog used a stable leash with an accurate length and responds well with all your commands, you can now shift in using retractable dog leashes.
- During the first few days of using a retractable dog leash, you need to be aware of your dog’s actions. Keep an eye on it and try executing your commands if your dog will still be comfortable to follow you even with its new leash.
- Don’t be complacent, you need to be careful with everything especially if you are with your dog. Avoid crowded places that are close to vehicles and rushing roads, because it might be dangerous if you can’t fully control your dog and if your dog is not yet comfortable wearing the retractable dog leash.
You can find various types of retractable dog leash that might be suitable for your dog. They can be bought online or even in physical stores. Just make sure that before you get the leash you wanted, try to consider the qualities it offers.
For you to make it easier to choose, here are some of the retractable dog leashes that are available online.
Best Retractable Dog Leash Review
1. Leash Boss Short Dog Leash with Padded Handle
This type of dog leash is available in various lengths including 12, 18, and 24 inches with can be used for large dogs. It is the basic-looking dog leash that a minimalist would like.
- COMFORTABLE – The soft Neoprene handle will give you the hand protection you wanted which is really comfortable, even if you are pulling a large dog.
- DURABLE – The durability of its 1” nylon webbing can withstand even the strongest force when you pull your dogs. It was delicately stitched with high-quality thread which was poly-bonded.
- PERFECT LENGTH – The length is suitable for dog owners, dog service handlers, and even for trainers.
- ASSEMBLED IN USA – The leash was assembled with quality and love in San Diego, California.
- VARIOUS LENGTHS – You can choose from three (3) sizes mainly 12, 18, or 24 inches in order to get the most suitable fit for your dog. You can enjoy the 12-inch dog leash while a smaller dog would be generally better suited for 18 or 24 inches long. Including hardware, all lengths covered end to end.
2. Leah Boss Free Range – Long Dog Leash for Large Dogs + Drawstring Backpack
It is a long dog leash with 1-inch nylon training lead with paddled handle. It is available in various lengths mainly 20ft, 30ft, 50ft, or 100ft with backpack.
- HEAVY-DUTY TRAINING LEASH – Unlike any other leash such as cotton that breaks and polypropylene with sharp edges that cut your hands, this nylon dog leash is soft and comfortable to use when using force and pulling back your large dogs. This is used as a backyard dog leash and best works for heavy-duty training. It is made specifically for large dogs but also suitable for medium dogs.
- FIRM & COMFORTABLE HANDLE – It is very comfortable to your hands, and the handle is not easy to break nor bend since it was covered with a high-density foam that will last for years.
- USA ASSEMBLED – It was assembled with the finest products in California.
- SECURE w/ WARRANTY – It is greatly a reliable product since it automatically offers ‘The Boss Promise’, a 5-year warranty that used to protect the product from defects, issues and gnawed leashes.
- AWESOME DIMENSIONS – You can choose from a wide range of measurements with 1-inch wide by 20, 30, or 50 feet long. This leash was built to give you a confident full control over your large dog which was safe and easy to manage since it was made from heavy-duty nylon with armored stitching and robust clip. It is great for heavy outdoor activities with your dog.
This item will also bring you the most convenient way to travel with your dog since it offers a BONUS drawstring backpack that you can use to organize your leash and stuffs.
3. Idepet Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash
This dog leash is suitable for both small and medium dogs, that can help them prevent chewing their leash since it was made from steel chain with 360-degree tangle-free, break and lock system. It is commonly 16-feet long designed for walking your dog comfortably.
- GREAT MATERIAL – This product was made from ABS plastic handle, robust nylon rope with stainless steel anti-chewing chain.
- STEEL-CHAIN DESIGN – The rope is tangle-free with 360-degree. You don’t have to worry about it being stuck. With its unique stainless chain style, it could prevent your dog from biting/chewing the leash when you are walking them.
- ONE BUTTON BRAKE & LOCK SAFETY SYSTEM – The leash can be extended up to 16 feet/5 meters. You don’t need to worry since a reliable lock button can ensure the safety and capability of your leash to retract when you need it.
- HEAVY-DUTY – This leash can be mainly used for a large dogs or even medium dogs with up to 50kg/110lbs. It makes them feel the utmost freedom even under your full control.
When you purchase this item, you can get one (1) Retractable Dog Leash with one (1) Stainless Steel Chain. A full satisfaction 24-hour friendly service after purchased will be offered.
4. Happy and Polly Retractable Dog Leash with Flashlight
This is not your ordinary retractable dog leash since it has additional functions to make you feel more comfortable. It has a detachable flashlight holder and poop bag holder that is suitable for various dog’s sizes.
- ADDITIONAL FLASHLIGHT – Happy and Polly Retractable Leash is more convenient for night use since it has a chic detachable aluminum alloy flashlight that was made in the US. This flashlight is detachable and can be carried on since it’s small and portable.
- DURABLE – This leash has a 16.4-feet long and strong tape.
- ENSURES SAFETY – It has an additional bungee leash. It was made by great flexibility and strengths that give comfort for you and your dog. This retractable dog leash is most suitable for young and enthusiastic dogs.
- UNIQUE STYLE – Unlike any other common dog leash, it features a patented anti-slip rubber handle that feels like leather, appropriate hook at the bottom of the leash, quick release pause, and lock button.
Upon purchase, you can get 2 in 1 Magic Box that is used for snacks or you can have it as poop bags. This Magic Box can be put on your belt, pocket or anywhere you want while strolling with your dog.
Things to Consider When Buying Retractable Dog Leash:
Given the following choices, it might be easier for you now to find out which of these retractable dog leashes would be the most suitable product for you and your dog. But, before you finalize your decision in choosing the perfect brand or item, you need to consider these important points:
- Choose a retractable dog leash with the appropriate length for your dog not too long and not too short. Basically, you can use 24-26-inches long for medium to large dogs and 12-18 inches long for small dogs.
- Use an appropriate brand with high-quality materials that is not easily broken or chewed by your dog. Any material that is not durable would not be qualified to be the best choice as your dog leash.
- Buy and use a product that is easy to buy and easy to acquire. Don’t buy online if the place is too far from you or if it’s from overseas because the shipping fee might get higher than the actual cost of the product. It’s good to be aware of the quality of the products but you also need to consider the availability of the product in your place. Be practical in choosing one.
If you are still confused about your decision in buying a retractable dog leash for you and your dog, here are some commonly asked questions about this product, and I hope it can help you clear your mind.
What length of retractable dog leash is best for a small dog?
Commonly XS (10 feet) and M (16 feet) long are the recommended lengths of the leash that is best suitable for dogs that are 26 pounds (primarily small dogs).
How does a retractable dog leash work?
Sometimes, with proper dog leash training, you can get the best advantage of this product. A retractable dog leash helps you to gain full control of your dog’s behavior and action without depriving them of their freedom. They still feel free even if they have those retractable leashes with them.
Are retractable dog leashes safe?
Definitely, if you use a retractable dog leash in the right way. Every product could be safe if you know how to use the item and if you are ready to encounter sudden problems that might arise.
How much are retractable dog leashes?
Prices may vary depends on the brand and the location of the stores plus the shipping cost. In an online shop like Amazon.com, you can get a retractable dog leash from $8 to $36 or higher per item.
How to take care of a Retractable Dog leash?
Taking care of retractable dog leash depends on the material it was made from. Those leather material are just properly kept when not in use and those stainless steel based leashes can be cleaned by some steel-friendly item that prevents it from being rusty or damaged.
Are Retractable Dog Leashes deadly and dangerous?
If you use it with an aggressive dog, it might be quite dangerous. He might suffer from suffocation due to struggling too much from the leash or even accidentally hang itself until he died if not properly used. But, every damage will be minimized and prevented if you and your dog will have good cooperation and if you can manage your dog well.
How can you use a retractable dog leash safely?
There are various reports from consumers that there are possible risks of using retractable leashes and also few leash manufacturers feature some critical safety information on their packages and websites.
So, to know more about the things you should and you shouldn’t do with your retractable dog leashes, here are some of the rules you might follow to ensure the safety of you and your dog:
- The retractable leash should not be used by an aggressive and untrained dog. If your dog pulls on the retractable leash, runs fast, struggles wearing it, refuses to obey you when you command, or if it causes irritation to your dog, take the leash off and look for another suitable product that your dog will feel comfortable.
- It is not preferable if you use the retractable leash in crowded areas. Due to its length, there is more likely that your dog will be tangled up with another dog or worst with another owner. There is a possibility that you might lose your dog if you use the retractable leash is much more crowded areas.
- Be aware of the product, where the parts lie, and never ever mishandle each part. You should know where the retractable line cord is and never grab it with merely your bare hands. Due to the materials used in this retractable cord, there are possibilities that the line cord if wrap around fingers and legs can be cut or burned if speeding up. You’ll lose nothing if you are careful in using this product. As the saying goes, ‘Prevention is better than cure’.
- Even if you think that you are knowledgeable enough and your dog is well-trained and disciplined, still you need to make sure to read the safety information thoroughly so that you can be informed much about the problems or concerns in using the retractable dog leash.
- If you think that you and your dog are not qualified for these simple points, you should get rid of the idea of having a retractable dog leash in the first place.
Retractable Dog Leash is one of the most convenient ways to control your pet dog with ease, comfort, and more comfortable. This is not just an accessory for a dog but also a safety measure that can prevent anything bad from happening.
There are various ways to look for the right retractable leash for your dog. Just bear in mind some important things you should consider when buying or getting one. You should always look for quality not for the price. Look for the material and durability, not for aesthetic beauty. I hope this article, helps you to choose and decide what retractable dog leash will you buy.